Ouch. Just. Ouch.

We take a quick break from our next stat generation to bring not great news from the AAU national chairman today.

Best-case? “Disney Duals” get held in Virginia Beach in August.

Worst-case? See everyone in 2021.

The news follows below. Key text in blue, my highlighting.


Good Morning,

Hello Coaches, Wrestlers, and Fans.
“May you live in interesting times”
That quote is attributed to Ancient Chinese Proverbs or to the movies in the early 1900’s. No one knows for sure. It seems to fit our situations this spring.
The past two months have been very interesting. With the news each day and the predictions each week, not sure, when or if, these “interesting times will end soon”.
I hope everyone has heard that the AAU Tournaments listed below have been cancelled or rescheduled.

1) CANCELLED-National Elementary Duals in Kingsport, Tennessee, Scheduled for May 1-3

2) CANCELLED- Middle School Duals, Freshman- Sophomore National Duals, Twin Rivers Junior -Senior duals and Girls Dual tournament, Scheduled for May 8-10, 2020.

3) AAU Black Hills Nationals on cancelled for May 1-3, have been rescheduled for Oct. 21-23, 2020. New flyers will be sent.

The big question for AAU Wrestling, at this point in time, is the National
Scholastic Duals at Disney, in Orlando during June 18 – 24th, 2020.

I have spoken with many of the coaches and the concerns seem similar.

With each state having their own restrictions in place, it adds to the uncertainty with building a Team, or if they will be allowed to travel.

1. Loss of fundraising opportunities for clubs due to the virus.

2. The unemployment situation which affects parents abilities, as well as, and including local businesses that help in sponsoring the athletes.

3. Concerns over the travel to Orlando, and participants close contact with 1500 to 2000 athletes and fans. Will parents feel comfortable with travel there.

4. With many schools and training centers closed , the time it takes to build a team, training a team, organizing and paying for the trip. Not knowing for sure if the tournament will be allowed to happen with 6 – 8 weeks from now.

I could wait to announce on May 1st the final decision for the Duals, but I think the best solution is to, postpone it, and combine our National Folkstyle with the Junior Olympic Freestyle duals in Virginia Beach.
The Junior Olympics are during the first week in August.

Our first concern is for our athletes. If there is a chance or a risk of exposure, we need to cancel.
We obviously haven’t figured out the details for the JO Games tournament, but will have some idea by May 1st.

Any questions, Please feel free to contact me. I hope you all stay safe and Family stays healthy.

Wes Creason
National AAU Wrestling Chairman
Iowa AAU Wrestling Chairman
1217 East Franklin Ave.
Indianola, Iowa 50125>>

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s