The work continues. We are bringing back, for its seventh year, #TheSeason. We didn’t do these first year, but have ever since. It’s something nobody else does. We compile all season records and write a wrapup for each team. To get them completed more quickly, we are summarizing these a bit more than in seasons past.
Next up in Round 1 of these profiles is Crestview.
You can see everything I have on the Bulldogs in 2020-21 here –> CRESTVIEW
Win/loss record: 0-4 in dual meets reported to Matmen. We were missing one dual.
Season in a nutshell:
- 3rd at Ryan Blackwell Invitational, 12/12 (12 teams).
- T-5th at 2A-District 1 Duals, 1/2
- 3rd at Arnold IBT, 2/6 (12 teams)
- 5th at 2A-District 1, 2/15 (8 teams)
- 26th at 2A-Region 1, 2/26-27 (30 teams)
Projected key returners (10+ matches or post-season experience this past season) for 2021-22 (with year in school as of next season): Aiden Golden (sophomore, 10-8 at 106, district 3rd, 0-2 at regions); Gary Gessendoff (sophomore, 8-9 at 113, district runnerup, 1-2 at regions); Stephen McCoscker (sophomore, 3-13 at 120, 0-2 at districts); Landon Brown (sophomore, 5-12 at 126, district 4th, 0-2 at regions); Layne Franks (senior, 10-7 at 160, district 4th, 0-2 at regions); Landon Davis (junior, 7-8 at 170, district 5th); Salvador Gallegos (senior, 7-9 at 182, district 5th).
Projected losses (10+ matches or post-season experience this past season) via graduation unless otherwise noted: Tyler Mason (2-11 at 132, 0-2 at districts); Wyatt Weightknecht (2-11 at 138, district 6th); Benjamin Gross (8-6 at 152, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Desi McGueen (10-8 at 220, district 3rd, 2-2 at regions); Josh Green (17-3 at 285, district champ, 0-2 at regions-injured).
2020-21 MVP: Josh Green
- 4-1 (2nd) at Ryan Blackwell Invitational
- 5-0 (1st) at Arnold IBT
- District champ
- Was injured after first round of regions
2021-22 captain: Layne Franks
- 3-1 (2nd) at Ryan Blackwell Invitational
- 3-0 (1st) at Arnold IBT
- District 4th
Zander Laurin Warrior: Wyatt Weightknecht
- Won first match; next victory came at districts, snapping a nine-match loss streak.
- First-year senior starter.