The work continues. We are bringing back, for its seventh year, #TheSeason. We didn’t do these first year, but have ever since. It’s something nobody else does. We compile all season records and write a wrapup for each team. To get them completed more quickly, we are summarizing these a bit more than in seasons past.
Today, we are nearly halfway done through Round 3, with Robert E Lee.
ROBERT E LEE
You can see everything I have on the Generals in 2020-21 here –> ROBERT E LEE
Win/loss record: 6-5 in dual meets reported to Matmen.
Season in a nutshell:
- 1-1 (T-3rd) at 2A-District 3 Duals, 1/2 (8 teams)
- 2nd at USMC Challenge, 1/9 (11 teams)
- 5th at Wolfpack Challenge, 1/23 (13 teams)
- 4th at Gateway Conference, 1/29-30 (15 teams)
- T-14th at Clay Rotary, 2/5-6 (20 teams)
- 4th at 2A-District 3, 2/20 (8 teams)
- 16th at 2A-Region 1, 2/26-27 (30 teams)
- T-26th at 2A State, 3/5-6 (68 teams)
Projected key returners (10+ matches or post-season experience this past season) for 2021-22 (with year in school as of next season): Ricky Hicks (junior, 7-4 at 113, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Caron Rose (sophomore, 5-18 at 132, district 6th); Gerard Kennedy (senior, 6-7 at 138/145, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Thomas Jones (junior, 12-10 at 285, district 4th, 0-2 at regions).
Projected losses (10+ matches or post-season experience this past season) via graduation unless otherwise noted: Jamal Burkes (22-5 at 120, region champ, 1-2 at regions); Alexa Dramis (3-11 at 126, district 5th); Ty’Juan Jones (13-10 at 145, district runnerup, 2-2 at regions); Ahmahd Denmark (28-2 at 160, district champ, region champ, state 3rd); Jeremy Porter (12-4 at 195, district 3rd, did not compete at regions); Craig Harper (15-9 at 220, district runnerup, 1 match from states).
2020-21 MVP: Ahmahd Denmark
- 2-0 at 2A-District 3 Duals
- 2-0 (1st) at USMC Challenge
- 3-0 (1st) at Wolfpack Challenge
- 3-0 (1st) at Gateway Conference
- 3-1 (2nd) at Clay Rotary
- 10-1 in post-season series (see above)
2021-22 captain: Thomas Jones
- 1-0 at 2A-District 3 Duals
- 2-2 at USMC Challenge
- 3-2 (4th) at Gateway Conference
- 2-4 in post-season series (see above)
Zander Laurin Warrior: Craig Harper
- Was a finalist in three tournaments (Wolfpack Challenge, Gateway and districts)
- Did win one regular-season tournament, going 3-0 and pinning his way through USMC Challenge at home
- At regions, got as close as one could to states without advancing, falling in ultimate-tiebreaker rideout to eventual fourth-place state finisher