The work continues. We are bringing back, for its seventh year, #TheSeason. We didn’t do these first year, but have ever since. It’s something nobody else does. We compile all season records and write a wrapup for each team. To get them completed more quickly, we are summarizing these a bit more than in seasons past.
Tonight, we close out #TheSeason project for this year with our final team still to be recapped, Yulee.
You can see everything I have on the Hornets in 2020-21 here –> YULEE
Win/loss record: 12-7 in dual meets reported to Matmen. We did have what appeared to be one missing dual that had Yulee second-string kids go to Georgia and compete against varsity teams.
Season in a nutshell:
- 2nd at Cam Brown Classic, 12/4-5 (12 teams)
- 4-2 (3rd) at Yulee Duals, 12/18-19 (15 teams)
- 41st at Knockout Christmas Classic, 12/28-29 (52 teams)
- Competed at Bobcat Roundrobin, 1/2 (20 teams)
- 2-0 (1st) at 1A-District 3 Duals, 1/5 (8 teams, 4 competing)
- 2nd at Joe Bees Memorial Battle of the Border, 1/8-9 (17 teams)
- 1-1 (semifinalist) at 1A-Region 1 Duals, 1/14 (7 teams)
- 3rd at Westside Roundrobin, 1/16 (11 teams)
- 4-1 (2nd) at MyHOUSE Invitational, 1/30 (10 teams)
- 1st at 1A-District 3, 2/20 (8 teams)
- 3rd at 1A-Region 1, 2/26-27 (30 teams)
- T-34th at 1A State, 3/5-6 (68 teams)
Projected key returners (10+ matches or post-season experience this past season) for 2021-22 (with year in school as of next season): Logan Pugh (sophomore, 15-20 at 106, district 3rd, 1-2 at regions); Josh Harris (sophomore, 4-8 at 106, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Jacob Proffit (junior, 23-16 at 113, district 3rd, 2-2 at regions); Lewis Duhan (junior, 14-21 at 120, district 5th); Austin Adamson (junior, 25-19 at 132, district 3rd, 1-2 at regions); Dylan Johns (junior, 26-9 at 138, district champ, region 4th, 0-2 at states); Jesse Johnson (senior, 16-9 at 152, district runnerup, 2-2 at regions); Keleb Reddish (senior, 22-16 at 182, district champ, region 4th, 0-2 at states); Braylen Ricks (sophomore, 23-12 at 195, district runnerup, region 4th, 0-2 at states); Tim King (senior, 17-22 at 220, district 3rd, 2-2 at regions); Joseph Michel (senior, 7-8 at 220, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Austin Hoyle (junior, 7-15 at 285, did not compete in post-season traditionals).
Projected losses (10+ matches or post-season experience this past season) via graduation unless otherwise noted: Tristan Martinez (24-19 at 126, district runnerup, 2-2 at regions); Isaiah Shook (32-16 at 145, district champ, region runnerup, 1-2 at states); Aston Ricks (43-10 at 160, district champ, region runnerup, state 6th); Collin Sewell (34-12 at 170, district runnerup, region 4th, did not compete at states-injured); Will Harvey (8-11 at 285, district runnerup, 1-2 at regions).
2020-21 MVP: Aston Ricks
- 7-0 (1st) at Cam Brown Classic
- 6-1 at Yulee Duals
- 1-2 at Knockout Christmas Classic
- 4-1 (2nd) at Bobcat Roundrobin
- 4-0 at 1A-District 3 & 1A-Region 1 Duals
- 4-0 (1st) at Joe Bees Memorial Battle of the Border
- 4-0 (1st) at Westside Roundrobin
- 5-0 at MyHOUSE Invitational
- 8-4 in post-season series (see above)
2021-22 captain: Keleb Reddish
- 3-2 (3rd) at Cam Brown Classic
- 1-3 at Yulee Duals
- 2-2 at 1A-District 3 & 1A-Region 1 Duals
- 2-1 (2nd) at Joe Bees Memorial Battle of the Border
- 4-1 (2nd) at Westside Roundrobin
- 3-2 at MyHOUSE Invitational
- 5-4 in post-season series (see above)
2020-21 Zander Laurin Warrior: Tristan Martinez
- Four-year starter and consistent lineup presence for the Hornets, building career record of 116-67 (106 in 17-18, 113 in 18-19, 120 in 19-20, 126 last season)
- In senior season, competed in every tournament as the starter — bumping up a weight for one event — with his top regular-season finish at home (2nd at Joe Bees)
- 3x runnerup & one third at districts, got to Saturday three times, but did not reach blood round; nevertheless, stayed with the sport and recorded double-digit wins in all four seasons of career