The work continues. We are bringing back, for its seventh year, #TheSeason. We didn’t do these first year, but have ever since. It’s something nobody else does. We compile all season records and write a wrapup for each team. To get them completed more quickly, we are summarizing these a bit more than in seasons past.
Today, we (finally) wrap up Round 3 with Bishop Kenny.
You can see everything I have on the Crusaders in 2020-21 here –> BISHOP KENNY
Win/loss record: 15-13 in dual meets reported to Matmen.
Season in a nutshell:
- 6-0 (1st) at Panther Prowl, 12/4-5 (7 teams)
- 3-2 (5th) at Dual in the Dunes, 12/12 (12 teams)
- 3-4 (6th) at Yulee Duals, 12/18-19 (14 teams)
- 0-1 (T-3rd) at 1A-District 3 Duals, 1/6 (4 teams)
- 10th at Joe Bees Memorial Battle of the Border, 1/8-9 (17 teams)
- 2-3 (4th) at DeLand Duals, 1/23 (6 teams)
- 13th at Clay Rotary, 2/5-6 (20 teams)
- 4th at 1A-District 3, 2/20 (8 teams)
- 14th at 1A-Region 1, 2/26-27 (30 teams)\
- T-56th at 1A State, 3/5-6 (68 teams).
Projected key returners (10+ matches or post-season experience this past season) for 2021-22 (with year in school as of next season): Jacob Harless (sophomore, 21-18 at 106, district 4th, 2-2 at regions); Allan Bustos (senior, 19-22 at 120, district 3rd, 1-2 at regions); Jack Raynor (sophomore, 17-17 at 132, district 4th, 0-2 at regions); Liam Underhill (sophomore, 4-12 at 132/138, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Luke Ghannam (junior, 6-7 at 145, district 5th*, 1-2 at regions); Roberto Cuartero (junior, 21-5 at 145/152, did not compete at post-season traditionals); John Slade (sophomore, 11-5 at 145/152, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Collin Hearn (junior, 26-16 at 152, district 3rd, region 4th, 0-2 at states); Christopher Hampton (sophomore, 10-1 at 152/160, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Paul Barakat (senior, 24-17 at 160, district 4th, 1 match from states); Michael Bagan (senior, 21-16 at 170, district 5th*, 1-2 at regions); Barrie Snyder (junior, 8-12 at 182, district 4th, 0-2 at regions); Kevin Thallemer (senior, 27-15 at 285, district champ, 1 match from states).
(Asterisks indicate additional qualifier status to region tournament)
Projected losses (10+ matches or post-season experience this past season) via graduation unless otherwise noted: Ryan Mayer (25-9 at 113, district runnerup, region 4th, 1-2 at states); Aden Seepersad (16-22 at 138, district 4th, 102 at regions).
2020-21 MVP: Ryan Mayer
- 5-1 at Panther Prowl
- 1-0 at 1A-District 3 Duals
- 1-2 at Joe Bees Memorial Battle of the Border
- 5-0 at DeLand Duals
- 3-1 (2nd) at Clay Rotary
- 6-5 in post-season series (see above)
2021-22 captain: Collin Hearn
- 5-0 at Dual in the Dunes
- 2-3 at Yulee Duals
- 2-2 at Joe Bees Memorial Battle of the Border
- 4-1 at DeLand Duals
- 4-2 (5th) at Clay Rotary
- 7-5 in post-season series (see above)
Zander Laurin Warrior: Aden Seepersad
- First-year senior starter made the lineup in first week of season, going 4-2 at Panther Prowl and 3-2 at Dual in the Dunes
- Hit a snag in late December and early-to-mid January, losing eight straight matches
- Struggled down the stretch as season took its toll on the team, but gave the team needed points at both Clay Rotary and regions