The work continues. We are bringing back, for its seventh year, #TheSeason. We didn’t do these first year, but have ever since. It’s something nobody else does. We compile all season records and write a wrapup for each team. To get them completed more quickly, we are summarizing these a bit more than in seasons past.
Today, we are nearly two-thirds through Round 4, with Sandalwood.
You can see everything I have on the Saints in 2020-21 here –> SANDALWOOD
Win/loss record: 0-4 in dual meets reported to Matmen. We were missing one part of the Saints’ home quad meet on January 14 and it appears we were missing the regular-season finale, a tri-meet with Gateway rivals, on February 10.
Season in a nutshell:
- 12th at Joe Bees Memorial Battle of the Border, 1/8-9 (17 teams)
- 7th at 3A-District 1, 2/20 (8 teams)
- 14th at 3A-Region 1, 2/26-27 (31 teams)
- T-24th at 3A State, 3/5-6 (64 teams)
Projected key returners (10+ matches or post-season experience this past season) for 2021-22 (with year in school as of next season): Alexei Mutoh (senior, 6-6 at 120, district 3rd, 1-1 at regions-injured); Malik Wilson (sophomore, 2-8 at 182, district 5th).
Projected losses (10+ matches or post-season experience this past season) via graduation unless otherwise noted: Dante Rigal (18-1 at 126, district champ, region champ, state 3rd); Joshua Brown (9-1 at 160/170, did not compete in post-season traditionals).
2020-21 MVP: Dante Rigal
- 3-0 (1st) at Joe Bees Memorial Battle of the Border
- 10-1 in post-season series (see above)
2021-22 captain: Alexei Mutoh
- 4-2 in post-season series (see above)
- Rallied back to take third at districts after falling to eventual state qualifier in first round
2020-21 Zander Laurin Warrior: Malik Wilson
- Was one of just five Saints with matches in 2020-21 and one of only three to finish the Covid-ravaged season
- Picked up first contested win in home quad meet in mid-January
- Did struggle in tournaments (0-4 for the season), but made two appearances in attempts to score points for the team