The work continues. We are bringing back, for its seventh year, #TheSeason. We didn’t do these first year, but have ever since. It’s something nobody else does. We compile all season records and write a wrapup for each team. To get them completed more quickly, we are summarizing these a bit more than in seasons past.
Today, we’re continuing our final round by wrapping up 1A-District 5 with Atlantic.
You can see everything I have on the Sharks in 2020-21 here –> ATLANTIC
Win/loss record: 5-12 in dual meets reported to Matmen. We are missing 10 duals that we’re sure of (the 1A-Region 2 dual at Hernando on 1/14, four from Showdown on 1/16, three from DeLand on 1/23) and two single duals. As a result, all wrestlers’ records that appear here should not be considered complete.
Season in a nutshell:
- 15th at Clash of the Titans, 12/5 (15 teams)
- 5th at Viper Invitational, 12/11-12 (7 teams)
- 2-1 (2nd) at 1A-District 5 Duals, 1/5 (5 teams; 4 competed)
- 0-1 (quarterfinalist) at 1A-Region 2 Duals, 1/14 (8 teams)
- 1-4 (5th) at Orange Park Duals, 1/20 (6 teams)
- 5th at Wolfpack Invitational, 1/30 (6 teams)
- 8th at Bi-County Invitational, 2/6 (9 teams)
- 3rd at 1A-District 5, 2/17 (5 teams)
- T-19th at 1A-Region 2, 2/26-27 (29 teams)
Projected key returners (10+ matches or post-season experience this past season) for 2021-22 (with year in school as of next season): Ayden Howington (sophomore, 5-16 as reported at 113, district runnerup, 0-2 at regions); Dustin Puckett (sophomore, 7-16 as reported at 120, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Isaiah Mazariegos (junior, 2-9 as reported at 120/126, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Jamison Pinyan (sophomore, 15-19 as reported at 126, district champ, 1-2 at regions); Bernie Alvarez (junior, 15-20 as reported at 132, district 3rd, 0-2 at regions); Noah Anderson (senior, 21-13 as reported at 170, district champ, 2-2 at regions); John Wyman (senior, 7-20 as reported at 195, district 3rd, 0-2 at regions); Aidan Griffin (senior, 3-9 as reported at 195, did not compete in post-season traditionals).
Projected losses (10+ matches or post-season experience this past season) via graduation unless otherwise noted: William Johnson (12-20 as reported at 138, district runnerup, 0-2 at regions); David Arcieri (26-12 as reported, at 182, district champ, 1 match from states); Jared Jackson (28-5 as reported at 285, district champ, 1 match from states).
2020-21 MVP: Jared Jackson
- 1-2 (4th) at Clash of Titans
- 3-0 at 1A-District 5 Duals
- 4-1 at Orange Park Duals
- 4-0 (1st) at Wolfpack Invitational
- 3-0 (1st) at Bi-County Invitational
- 5-2 in post-season series (see above)
- Won 16 matches in a row
2021-22 captain: Noah Anderson
- 0-2 at Clash of Titans
- 2-1 (2nd) at Viper Invitational
- 2-1 at 1A-District 5 Duals
- 4-1 at Orange Park Duals
- 3-1 (2nd) at Wolfpack Invitational
- 0-2 at Bi-County Invitational
- 4-2 in post-season series (see above)
2020-21 Zander Laurin Warrior: David Arcieri
- After a slow start in two early tournaments, won nine straight matches (as reported) in mid-January
- Took thirds at both Wolfpack and Bi-County tournaments
- Was 4-2 in post-season series, and lost in blood round to a 2020 state finalist