The work continues. We are bringing back, for its seventh year, #TheSeason. We didn’t do these first year, but have ever since. It’s something nobody else does. We compile all season records and write a wrapup for each team. To get them completed more quickly, we are summarizing these a bit more than in seasons past.
Today, we’re starting to close down 2A-District 2, which has two teams left to recap. First up is its champion, Lincoln.
You can see everything I have on the Trojans in 2020-21 here –> LINCOLN
Win/loss record: 17-1 in dual meets reported to Matmen.
Season in a nutshell:
- 1st at Cam Brown Classic, 12/4-5 (12 teams)
- 1st at Capital City Classic, 12/11-12 (5 teams)
- 5-0 (1st) at 2A-District 2 Duals, 12/19 (6 teams)
- 1-1 (semifinalist) at 2A-Region 1 Duals, 1/14 (8 teams)
- 5-0 (1st) at Trojan Invitational, 1/16 (10 teams)
- 5-0 (1st) at Timberwolf Duals, 2/6 (10 teams)
- 1st at 2A-District 2 Duals, 2/20 (8 teams)
- 6th at 2A-Region 1 Duals, 2/26-27 (30 teams)
- T-15th at 2A State, 3/5-6 (68 teams)
Projected key returners (10+ matches or post-season experience this past season) for 2021-22 (with year in school as of next season): Vaniel Caceres (sophomore, 19-14 at 106, district 6th*, 2-2 at regions); Ilhom Mirhamidov (junior, 5-6 at 113/120, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Jashawn Washington (sophomore, 12-8 at 120, district 3rd, 1-2 at regions); Ron Taylor (junior, 15-10 at 126, district 4th, 0-2 at regions); Wesley Suta (senior, 7-5 at 126/132, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Zaire Fernanders-Jackson (junior, 25-8 at 132, district champ, 1-2 at regions); Connor Edwards (junior, 16-12 at 138, district runnerup, 2-2 at regions); Mekhi Williams (senior, 11-9 at 138, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Jerry Bowman (junior, 15-18 at 152, district 4th, 1-2 at regions); Tristan Cottrell (sophomore, 1-9 at 152, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Mason Crowder (junior, 22-12 at 170, district 4th, 1-2 at regions); Keller Shea (sophomore, 4-7 at 170, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Brandon Bourassa (senior, 4-7 at 170/182, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Cayden Bevis (senior, 27-1 at 182, district champ, region champ, state 3rd); Maggie Moss (senior, 4-5 at 195, girls’ state runnerup); Omarion LaRoach (senior, 32-3 at 220, district champ, 1 match from states); Alexander Gale (sophomore, 2-8 at 220, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Nic Weaver (senior, 23-8 at 285, district runnerup, 1-2 at regions); Connor Gilbert (sophomore, 5-5 at 285, did not compete in post-season traditionals).
Projected losses (10+ matches or post-season experience this past season) via graduation unless otherwise noted: Elijah Hendley (36-3 at 113, district champ, region champ, state 4th); Mason Kirkland (18-12 at 145, district 5th); Patrick Blanca (26-6 at 160, district runnerup, did not compete at regions); Wyatt Yown (29-10 at 195, district runnerup, region 3rd, state 6th).
2020-21 MVP: Elijah Hendley
- 3-1 (2nd) at Cam Brown Classic
- 5-0 (1st) at Capital City Classic
- 5-0 at 2A-District 2 Duals
- 2-0 at 2A-Region 1 Duals
- 5-0 at Trojan Invitational
- 5-0 at Timberwolf Duals
- 10-2 in post-season series (see above)
- Won 30 matches in a row from 12/12 to state quarterfinals
2021-22 captain: Cayden Bevis
- 5-0 (1st) at Cam Brown Classic
- 2-0 (1st) at Capital City Classic
- 4-0 at 2A-District 2 Duals
- 5-0 at Timberwolf Duals
- 10-1 in post-season-series (see above)
- Only loss in state semis, won first 25 matches of the season (including a six-week layoff from competition
2020-21 Zander Laurin Warrior: Connor Edwards
- Got off to a slow start in December, not getting over the .500 mark until district duals just before Christmas.
- After early-round district duals loss, won eight matches in a row between districts and Trojan Invite
- After two one-sided losses to intracity rival and 2020 state qualifier during the regular season, rallied at districts for key decision victory over that rival as part of team’s decisive district win