The work continues. We are bringing back, for its seventh year, #TheSeason. We didn’t do these first year, but have ever since. It’s something nobody else does. We compile all season records and write a wrapup for each team. To get them completed more quickly, we are summarizing these a bit more than in seasons past.
Today, we begin our wrap of our 3A teams with four in succession. First of those four in 3A-District 1 is Oakleaf.
You can see everything I have on the Clay County Knights in 2020-21 here –> OAKLEAF
Win/loss record: 24-10 in dual meets reported to Matmen.
Season in a nutshell:
- 2-2 (3rd) at Raider 5-Way, 12/2 (5 teams)
- 4-1 (2nd) at Friday Knight Lights, 12/11 (6 teams)
- 15th at Ponte Vedra Girls IBT, 12/12 (17 teams)
- 1-2 (3rd) at 3A-District 1 Duals, 1/6 (8 teams; 5 competing)
- 2-1 at Keystone Memorial Duals, 1/8
- 4th at Keystone Memorial IBT, 1/9 (20 teams)
- 5-0 (1st) at Orange Park Duals, 1/20 (6 teams)
- Competed in Greyhound Invitational, 1/23 (unknown # of teams)
- 4-3 (5th) at Flagler Rotary, 1/29-30 (17 teams)
- 4th at Clay Rotary, 2/5-6 (20 teams)
- T-47th at Girls State, 2/19-20 (118 teams)
- 3rd at 3A-District 1, 2/20 (8 teams)
- 9th at 3A-Region 1, 2/26-27 (31 teams)
- 51st at 3A State, 3/5-6 (64 teams)
Projected key returners (10+ matches or post-season experience this past season) for 2021-22 (with year in school as of next season): Connor Gilbert (sophomore, 6-20 at 106, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Kaleb Almario (sophomore, 13-23 at 113, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Markos Barfield (sophomore, 6-8 at 120, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Marcus McGee (senior, 26-11 at 126, district 3rd, region 4th, 0-2 at states); Andrew Brandt (junior, 6-13 at 126, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Keon Barrientos (sophomore, 11-4 at 126/132, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Roman Polinsky (junior, 19-16 at 152, district champ, 1 match from states); Sebastian Lopez de Victoria (senior, 10-8 at 170, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Jazzmine Moore (sophomore, 8-6 at 182/184, girls’ state 4th); Braden Cole (junior, 14-27 at 182, district 3rd, 1-2 at regions); Isaiah Shevchook (junior, 33-10 at 195, district runnerup, region 3rd, 0-2 at states); Ben Gaddis (junior, 25-12 at 220, district 3rd, 0-2 at regions); Jordan Mitchell (junior, 32-13 at 285, 1 match from states).
Projected losses (10+ matches or post-season experience this past season) via graduation unless otherwise noted: Kevin Gilley (28-6 at 120, district champ, region 3rd, 1-2 at states); Logan Gilbert (30-9 at 132, district 4th, 1 match from states); Trevor Owens (37-15 at 138, district champ, region 3rd, 0-2 at states); Adrian Camacho (12-11 at 145, district 5th); Christian Griffith (16-5 at 145, did not compete in post-season traditionals); James McClintic (32-13 at 160, district runnerup, 2-2 at regions); Dean Dahlem (8-12 at 160/170, did not compete in post-season traditionals).
2020-21 MVP: Kevin Gilley
- 4-0 at Raider 5-Way
- 5-1 (3rd) at Keystone Memorial
- 4-1 at Flagler Rotary
- 4-0 (1st) at Clay Rotary
- 9-3 in post-season series (see above)
2021-22 captain: Marcus McGee
- 2-0 at 3A-District 1 Duals
- 5-3 (5th) at Keystone Memorial
- 4-1 at Orange Park Duals
- 3-2 at Flagler Rotary
- 4-0 (1st) at Clay Rotary
- 6-5 in post-season series (see above)
2020-21 Zander Laurin Warrior: Trevor Owens
- Led team in victories in 2020-21
- Won first 11 matches in December (was 4-0 at Orange Park and 5-0 at Friday Knight Lights) and then again nine straight in January, including title at Keystone
- Won one of team’s three individual district titles and was 4-1 at regions, with lone loss by a single point