The work continues. We are bringing back, for its seventh year, #TheSeason. We didn’t do these first year, but have ever since. It’s something nobody else does. We compile all season records and write a wrapup for each team. To get them completed more quickly, we are summarizing these a bit more than in seasons past.
Today, we finish up in 1A-District 1 with its champion, South Walton.
You can see everything I have on the Seahawks in 2020-21 here –> SOUTH WALTON
Win/loss record: 3-2 in dual meets reported to Matmen.
Season in a nutshell:
- 9th at Border Wars VIII, 12/4-5 (11 teams)
- 4th at Ryan Blackwell Invitational, 12/12 (12 teams)
- 3-0 (1st) at 1A-District 1 Duals, 12/18 (8 teams, 6 competing)
- T-6th at Scott Simpson Invitational, 12/19 (12 teams)
- 8th at Joe Bees Memorial Battle of the Border, 1/8-9 (17 teams)
- 0-1 (semifinalist) at 1A-Region 1 Duals, 1/14 (7 teams)
- 5th at 2nd Annual George Mulligan Memorial, 1/22-23 (18 teams)
- 12th at Clay Rotary, 2/5-6 (20 teams)
- 9th at Gator Brawl, 2/13 (9 teams)
- 1st at 1A-District 1, 2/18 (8 teams)
- T-97th at Girls’ State, 2/19-20 (118 teams)
- 8th at 1A-Region 1, 2/26-27 (30 teams)
- T-34th at 1A State, 3/5-6 (68 teams)
Projected key returners (10+ matches or post-season experience this past season) for 2021-22 (with year in school as of next season): Brett Canut (senior, 17-15 at 106, district 5th*, 1-2 at regions); Max Brewster (senior, 26-6 at 113, district champ, region 3rd, state 6th); Luc Robles (junior, 5-14 at 120, district 5th); Randall Yates (junior, 4-14 at 126, district 3rd, 1-2 at regions); Julian Russo (sophomore, 8-11 at 126/132, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Canyon Dart (senior, 19-11 at 132, district 3rd, 1-2 at regions); Jordan Skates (junior, 0-15 at 134/138, 0-2 at girls’ state); Ryan Kurfirst (senior, 24-15 at 138, district champ, 2-2 at regions); Seth Marshall (junior, 12-13 at 145, district 3rd, 1-2 at regions); Chase Maas (junior, 11-15 at 145, did not compete in post-season traditionals); John Lopez (senior, 13-21 at 152, district runnerup, 1-2 at regions); Frank Bonjean (junior, 1-13 at 152, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Keenan Campbell (senior, 8-19 at 160, district runnerup, 0-2 at regions); Shane Lane (senior, 8-21 at 182, district 3rd, 1-2 at regions); Noah Gabbard (senior, 6-6 at 195, district 3rd, 0-2 at regions); Nick Lee (junior, 10-12 at 220, district runnerup, 1-2 at regions).
Projected losses (10+ matches or post-season experience this past season) via graduation unless otherwise noted: Chase Maddox (17-5 at 170, district champ, region runnerup, 1-2 at states); Levi Portz (12-7 at 285, district 3rd, 1-2 at regions).
Asterisk — notes additional region qualifier per FHSAA schematic.
2020-21 MVP: Chase Maddox
- 3-1 (3rd) at Joe Bees Memorial Battle of the Border
- 4-0 (1st) at 2nd Annual George Mulligan Memorial
- 4-1 (2nd) at Clay Rotary
- 6-3 in post-season series (see above)
2021-22 captain: Max Brewster
- 3-2 (3rd) at Border Wars VIII
- 4-0 (1st) at Ryan Blackwell
- 3-0 at 1A-District 1 Duals
- 4-0 (1st) at Scott Simpson
- 3-0 (1st) at Joe Bees Memorial Battle of the Border
- 9-4 in post-season series (see above)
2020-21 Zander Laurin Warrior: Ryan Kurfirst
- Nearly doubled career win output in 2020-21, going 24-15 after a 27-53 career start
- Won eight matches in a row in December, with a third at Ryan Blackwell and runnerup at Scott Simpson
- Was undefeated in district competition, going 6-0 in both duals and IBT, winning one of team’s three district titles