The work continues. We are bringing back, for its seventh year, #TheSeason. We didn’t do these first year, but have ever since. It’s something nobody else does. We compile all season records and write a wrapup for each team. To get them completed more quickly, we are summarizing these a bit more than in seasons past.
Today, we start our final district still to be completed, 1A-District 3, with Episcopal.
You can see everything I have on the Eagles in 2020-21 here –> EPISCOPAL
Win/loss record: 23-7 in dual meets reported to Matmen.
Season in a nutshell:
- 4-1 (2nd) at Dual in the Dunes, 12/12 (12 teams)
- 6-1 (2nd) at Yulee Duals, 12/18-19 (15 teams)
- 1-1 (2nd) at 1A-District 3 Duals, 1/6 (8 teams, 4 competed)
- 1st at USMC Challenge, 1/9 (11 teams)
- 0-1 (quarterfinalist) at 1A-Region 1 Duals, 1/14 (7 teams)
- 4-1 (3rd) at Trojan Invitational, 1/16 (10 teams)
- 3rd at 1A-District 3, 2/20 (8 teams)
- 10th at 1A-Region 1, 2/26-27 (30 teams)
- 60th at 1A State, 3/5-6 (68 teams)
Projected key returners (10+ matches or post-season experience this past season) for 2021-22 (with year in school as of next season): Cohen Chesser (junior, 26-9 at 106, district runnerup, 1 match from states); Turner Glenn (freshman, 18-9 at 113, district 5th*, did not compete at regions-injured); Scott Busey (junior, 19-19 at 120, district runnerup, 1-2 at regions); Nicholas Pressley (sophomore, 13-3 at 120, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Christian Ryan (senior, 20-7 at 126, district 3rd, 1 match from states); Baylor Maurer (junior, 7-9 at 126/132, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Jack Steiger (junior, 5-5 at 126/132, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Ben Helton (junior, 17-12 at 145, district 3rd, 1 match from states); Aidan Chupp (junior, 5-6 at 145/152, did not compete in post-season traditionals); John Fernandez (junior, 21-13 at 152/160, district 4th, 1-2 at regions); Hunter Luzar (sophomore, 10-8 at 152/160, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Matt Salek (sophomore, 3-7 at 160, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Brennan Doherty (junior, 12-4 at 170, 0-1 at districts-injured); Christian McGarity (freshman, 21-16 at 182, district runnerup, 2-2 at regions); Lawson Perry (freshman, 19-11 at 195, district 5th); Maddox Davidson (freshman, 10-12 at 220, district 5th).
Projected losses (10+ matches or post-season experience this past season) via graduation unless otherwise noted: Joe Jackson (26-7 at 132, district champ, region runnerup, 1-2 at states); Noah Meyer (27-13 at 138, district runnerup, 1 match from states); Flynn Stapleton (8-10 at 160/170, did not compete in post-season traditionals); Tommaso Pozzoni (14-21 at 285, district 3rd, 1-2 at regions).
2020-21 MVP: Joe Jackson
- 2-2 at Dual in the Dunes
- 4-1 at Yulee Duals
- 3-0 at 1A-District 3 & 1A-Region 1 Duals
- 2-1 (2nd) at USMC Challenge
- 6-3 in post-season series (see above)
2021-22 captain: Christian Ryan
- 2-0 at Dual in the Dunes
- 4-2 at Yulee Duals
- 1-2 at 1A-District 3 & 1A-Region 1 Duals
- 3-0 (1st) at USMC Challenge
- 5-3 in post-season series (see above)
2020-21 Zander Laurin Warrior: Turner Glenn
- One of four key 8th-graders that was a regular starter for the Eagles in 2020-21
- Had better-than-.500 performances in his three regular-season dual tournament appearances (4-1 at Fernandina Beach, 3-1 at Yulee, 3-2 at Lincoln)
- Had won football team’s character award and additionally won school’s sportsmanship award named for alumnus who wrestled in college at The Citadel and who went on to be a US Army helicopter pilot