Like their high school counterparts in the Northeast Florida Matmen area, college wrestlers largely took a break last week.
That is, of course, except for the one collegian competing not for a varsity letter or for a partial funding of his education, but for the sheer love of the sport.
Central Florida senior Chris Fox (Fleming Island ’10) used the holiday weekend to pick up a win for the Knights on Saturday in Fort Myers against Florida Gulf Coast.
Fox, competing at 125 pounds for UCF, defeated FGC’s David Nguyen 4-0 as part of the Knights’ 30-18 dual victory.
Fox wasnt alone on the winning side of things, though. Coker College freshman Robert Parland (University Christian ’13) contributed a significant 6-5 decision at 197 pounds last Monday as the Cobras won the first home dual in college history, knocking off St. Andrews College 25-13.
Speaking of Coker wrestlers, fellow Cobra freshman Shane Carpenter (Creekside ’13) tweeted earlier Monday that he is brace-free and stitches-free following surgery to repair a torn meniscus. With any luck, Carpenter should be back in the Coker starting lineup in just a few weeks.
Otherwise, most wrestlers were idle and remain that way until this weekend, with the following #NextLevel dates on the map:
- Edinboro — home to Scots freshman Victor Espana (Fleming Island ’13) — hosts the University of Iowa on Thursday night and will host the PSAC Championships on Saturday.
- Ohio State — home to Buckeye redshirt freshman Josh Fox (University Christian ’12) — will travel to the Cliff Keen Invitational in Las Vegas this Friday and Saturday.
- Coker — fresh off the home win mentioned earlier — will compete in a trio of duals hosted by in-state rival Newberry, all on Saturday.
- North Central — home to Cardinal freshman Coll Robertson (Ridgeview ’13) — will travel to the Wisconsin Open in Madison on Saturday.
- Hannibal-LaGrange — home to Trojan freshman Kyle McClinton (Middleburg ’13) — also goes to Wisconsin, with a dual Friday at Maranatha Baptist and a tournament hosted by the Milwaukee School of Engineering on Saturday.
- Indiana Tech — home to Warrior first-year Ben Galloway (Fleming Island ’13) — will head far out west as well, competing in this weekend’s Battle of the Rockies Open in Great Falls, Montana.
- Bacone College — home to Warrior first-year Frank Giordano (Ponte Vedra ’13) — will compete in duals at Wayland Baptist Friday night and at the Red Raider Duals in Amarillo, TX, on Saturday.
- Iowa Western — home to Reiver first-year Jamarius Jackson (Ridgeview ’13) — will compete in Saturday’s Buena Vista Open in Storm Lake, Iowa. Jackson has yet to start for the Reivers.
- Washington & Lee — home to Generals senior Daniel Igel (Bolles ’10) is off until December 20. Likewise, UCF and Chris Fox have a long break, with no competitions scheduled until December 21.